An alleged drug dealer is handcuffed after a drug buy bust operation conducted by policemen where they caught this 18 year old boy selling marijuana in Manila on May 12, 2018. Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte's war on drugs has left nearly 4,000 drug suspects dead and seen human rights groups claim he was responsible for a crime against humanity. The anti-drugs campaign enjoys popular support while the fiery-tongued Duterte has rejected any criticism of his human rights record. (NOEL CELIS / AFP)
MANILA – Philippine President Ferdinand Romualdez Marcos said on Monday that his government is not keen on rejoining the International Criminal Court (ICC).
The Philippines officially informed the United Nations in March 2018 about its decision to withdraw from the Rome Statute of the International Criminal Court after the body launched a probe into the alleged extrajudicial killings related to the previous Rodrigo Duterte administration's anti-drug campaign
Marcos said the ICC's ongoing investigation into the crime against humanity allegedly committed by the previous Rodrigo Duterte administration is not needed, adding the government is also conducting its investigation on the matter.
Marcos convened his legal team last week to discuss the administration's strategy in dealing with the ICC.
"I asked for the meeting so that we will know what to do if we will respond or not," Marcos told a press conference, stressing the need to figure out how his administration will respond because the ICC "is a very different kind of court."
ALSO READ: Anger in Philippines as ICC suspends war on drugs probe
The Philippines officially informed the United Nations in March 2018 about its decision to withdraw from the Rome Statute of the ICC after the body launched a probe into the alleged extrajudicial killings related to Duterte's anti-drug campaign.
Duterte at that time said the ICC accusations are "baseless, unprecedented and outrageous attacks."
According to Philippine government data, more than 6,000 people were killed in the war on drugs that Duterte launched after he took office in 2016.
READ MORE: Philippines says won't cooperate with ICC probe of 'war on drugs'
Nevertheless, the ICC continued its probe after an ICC prosecutor asked the pre-trial chamber to resume the investigation. The ICC chamber asked the Philippine government to submit a comment showing proof that the national justice system of the Philippines is working to ensure accountability for the alleged crimes by Sept. 8.