Pedestrians walk past a damaged structure and debris after Typhoon Hinnamnor passed through Busan on Sept 6, 2022. (ANTHONY WALLACE / AFP)
SEOUL – Typhoon Hinnamnor departed the Republic of Korea on Tuesday after making landfall in the country's south, leaving thousands of people displaced and one dead, authorities said.
The typhoon left the Korean peninsula about 7:10 am through waters off the southeastern city of Ulsan after landing on the coastal city of Geoje, according to the Korea Meteorological Administration.
As of 11 am, the typhoon was traveling northeast at about 62 kilometers per hour (38 mph), and expected to pass some 420 km west of Sapporo, Japan, at 9 pm.
Typhoon warnings were lifted across most parts of the country except in some regions, including the southern Ulsan, North Gyeongsang province and the eastern Gangwon province.
About 2,900 people are still evacuated, mostly in the southern regions, and more than 66,000 homes experienced power outages, with 45 percent of service restored as of 11 am
President Yoon Suk-yeol has urged officials to take precautions until the typhoon is completely gone, his spokesperson said.
READ MORE: Countries brace for havoc as Typhoon Hinnamnor approaches
In the southeastern city of Pohang, a resident was swept away and killed by strong currents while trying to evacuate, while the typhoon also left one injured and two others missing as of Tuesday morning, the Ministry of Interior and Safety said. The casualty numbers could rise as authorities continue rescue operations.
About 2,900 people are still evacuated, mostly in the southern regions, and more than 66,000 homes experienced power outages, with 45 percent of service restored as of 11 am.
The military has mobilized amphibious vehicles for rescue operations, the defense ministry said.
The typhoon has forced hundreds of flight cancellations, suspension of business operations and school closings.
A spokesperson for Daewoo Shipbuilding & Marine Engineering said there were no incidents at its shipyard so far, and it halted production during Tuesday morning as planned.
ALSO READ: Japan's Okinawa braces for lashing from Typhoon Hinnamnor
Shipbuilder Hyundai Heavy Industries said it planned to resume work on Tuesday afternoon. Both shipyards were located in or near the path of the typhoon.
A man takes photos on a promenade as waves crash in the sea after Typhoon Hinnamnor passed through Busan on Sept 6, 2022. (ANTHONY WALLACE / AFP)
A POSCO spokesperson said a byproduct gas release at the company's Pohang plant in the morning was caused by a typhoon-related power outage.
The neighboring Democratic People's Republic of Korea also braced for damage from the typhoon, with leader Kim Jong Un presiding over a two-day meeting on disaster prevention work and releasing water from a dam near its border with the ROK.
The ROK has repeatedly urged the DPRK to give notice before releasing water from the dam as it could result in flooding downstream but Pyongyang has remained unresponsive.
Operations are likely to resume gradually later in the week, though fresh slots for bunkering are likely to start only from next week onwards, trader sources said
Ship refueling halted
Ship refueling operations were temporarily halted at Busan and Ulsan ports on Tuesday after typhoon Hinnamnor hit the country's southern region, trade sources said.
READ MORE: China raises emergency response as Typhoon Hinnamnor nears
The halt in operations also paused spot premiums for low-sulfur bunker fuel offered at these ports this week at about US$60 per tonne over Singapore fuel oil quotes, bunker fuel traders at ROK-based companies said.
Operations are likely to resume gradually later in the week, though fresh slots for bunkering are likely to start only from next week onwards, the traders said.
A spokesperson at the Busan Port Authority said that the port had suspended operations until 1800 KST (0900 GMT) on Tuesday, Sept 6, and expected operations to normalize afterwards. There was some minor damage to facilities due to the typhoon, the spokesperson added.
Meanwhile, a spokesperson at the Ulsan Port Authority said the port was expected to resume normal ship entry and departure operations by Wednesday. The port did not suffer any major damage, the spokesperson said.